vimeologoFM

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Gestures - Passion Plays - University Of California, Berkeley, California, February 14, 1985



You can also download the video here (mp4, 1.3 GB):
https://archive.org/download/gestures-021485/gestures-021485.mp4

This is the time when I didn't show up at performances for up to an hour, letting the audience trying to figure out together what the fuck was going on, thereby creating the performance without me. This was the first time I did GESTURES as a tribal performance ritual [this was even before I added the random factor to the ritual]. It looks like we only videoed this until the people started taking off their clothes. Darn!

I insured that things would go to where people would take off their clothes by having a plant. The plant was my co-star in a film. Try to pick her out!

“Gestures” was a slow-motion dance of a series of abstract body movements and interactions, taken from Manwatching, by Desmond Morris. This “dance”, which the audience did with me, led from polite social contact into intimacy. In this context, even normally safe actions such as removing one’s shoes involved questioning, and dealing with sexuality, morality, and limits.
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog